First, some background. In a recent Tweet, marketing consultant Robin Robins pointed out that 78 percent of MSPs charge on a "per device" (i.e., per workstation or per server) basis. And our annual MSPmentor 100 survey includes metrics for how many devices MSPs have under management.
Still, some MSPs are starting to re-think per-device price quotes. Three prime examples include:
- Howard Cunningham, president of Macro Systems LLC;
- Brett Jaffe, president of IT4 Inc.; and
- Alex Rogers, president of ARRC Technology.
By avoiding per-device price quotes, customers can set the value of the services in their own mind, notes Rogers. For instance, say you're charging two different customers $3,000 per month for a suite of managed services that includes patch management, managed security, online backup and help desk services.
- Customer A may believe the most important piece of the service involves online backup.
- And Customer B may more fully value help desk services.
All three MSPs will discuss pricing trends a bit more fully during our June 23 webcast. In the meantime, I wonder if per-device price quotes are a fading trend?
Sign up for MSPmentor’s weekly Enewsletter, Webcasts and Resource Center. And follow us via RSS; Facebook; Identi.ca; and Twitter. Plus, check out more MSP voices at www.MSPtweet.com.