Rewind the clock a bit:
- In 2009, Kaseya quietly acquired Datatune, Inc.’s assets. Datatune had developed a Billing for IT Services application — which sounds somewhat similar to PSA (professional services automation) software.
- In August 2010, Kaseya described a long-term Business Center PSA strategy.
- By November 2010, Kaseya disclosed a multi-million-dollar financial software acquisition involving ObjAcct, Inc., which develops an XML-based accounting software suite. Eventually, Kaseya said, the software will allow MSPs and corporate IT managers to track and monetize the costs associated with delivering IT services.
Here and NowNow, fast-forward to the present. Kaseya this week unveiled Service Billing 1.0 and Service Desk 1.3, which are positioned for SMB customers and MSPs.
"These two products are target toward locally-focused and regionally-focused SMB's. Their teams tend to know the technical side of things but not so much the account accounting and business side," said Kaseya's Director of Product Marketing Gerald Beaulieu. For example, MSPs that run Quickbooks -- the accounting program made by Intuit -- can use Service Billing 1.0 to create invoices and then flow the invoices into Quickbooks to process receipts and generate tax and financial statements.
Beaulieu stressed that the Service Billing 1.0 and Service Desk 1.3 will not be sold on their own as point solutions. Instead, they will be available as part of the broader on-premise or cloud-based Kaseya platform. "It's easier than buying point solutions and then having to weave them together," asserted Beaulieu.
What's Next?Meanwhile, I need to concede some key points:
- I'm not sure if the new Service Desk and Service Billing solutions are related to the so-called Kaseya Business Center PSA effort and the ObjAcct acquisition of 2010.
- MSPmentor is checking in with Kaseya for an update on the Business Center PSA and ObjAcct efforts. UPDATED April 20, 9:23 a.m. eastern: Kaseya CEO Gerald Blackie offers his perspectives here.
Additional reporting by Nicholas Mukhar. Sign up for MSPmentor’s Weekly Enewsletter, Webcasts and Resource Center. Follow us via RSS, Facebook and Twitter. Check out more MSP voices at www.MSPtweet.com. Read our editorial disclosure here.