When Apple's iOS 7 arrives for iPads and iPhones in the fall of 2013, MSPs and mobile device management (MDM) software companies better be ready.
Apple says iOS 7 for iPhones and iPads will arrive in the Fall of 2013. Will MSPs be ready?
Apple (AAPL) today unveiled iOS 7, a mobile operating system upgrade for iPhones and iPads. iOS 7 is in beta now and will be available for Apple's smartphones and tablets in the fall of 2013. For MSPs, RMM software providers, and mobile device management (MDM) companies, the race is on to ensure iOS 7 is easily managed from remote systems.
Of course, a lengthy list of RMM (remote monitoring and management) software companies already support Google Android and iOS 6. We'll be checking in with Continuum, GFI Software, Kaseya, LabTech Software, Level Platforms, N-able (now owned by SolarWInds) and other industry players to see how soon they'll support the new iOS 7 release.
What can consumers and business users expect from iOS 7? According to Apple:
"iOS 7 is completely redesigned with subtle motion, an elegant color palette and distinct, functional layers that make it feel more alive. The typography has been refined for a cleaner, simpler look, and the use of translucency and motion makes even simple tasks more engaging. iOS 7 has hundreds of great new features, including Control Center, Notification Center, improved Multitasking, AirDrop, enhanced Photos, Safari, Siri and introduces iTunes Radio, a free Internet radio service based on the music you listen to on iTunes."
The iOS 7 feature list in deeper detail includes:
- Control Center. A simple swipe lets users access a centralized Control Center for Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or Do Not Disturb, and more, Apple said.
- Notification Center is now available from the Lock screen so you can see all your notifications with a single swipe, Apple asserted.
- Improved Multitasking allows developers to enable any app to multitask in the background with a new API. Plus, Apple says, users have the ability to switch between their apps in a more visual and intuitive way.
- AirDrop is an entirely new way to share content with people nearby, Apple indicated.
- iCloud Keychain can store your passwords and credit card information across all your devices, Apple said.
Apple says the iOS 7 beta software and SDK are available immediately for iOS Developer Program members at developer.apple.com. iOS 7 will be available as a free software update for iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2 and later, iPad mini and iPod touch (fifth generation) this fall, the company indicated.