This week's managed services provider (MSP) news and rumors involved Cisco interCloud, Internet of Things (IoT), CompTIA Annual Member Meeting (AMM), IBM Softlayer, ConnectWise and more.
I just returned from Cisco Partner Summit, HP Global Partner Conference and IWCE in Las Vegas. Next up is CompTIA Annual Member Meeting in San Diego. But before I make that next trip, here are seven managed services provider (MSP) blogs and news stories that MSPmentor didn't have time to write for the week ending March 28, 2014.
7. Agile Software Development: ConnectWise is now delivering monthly software updates to partners, the latest sign that traditional software development models have ended -- thanks to the MSP and CSP waves.
6. IBM Steals One from Amazon: I met with a Push to Talk cloud services provider at IWCE. He mentioned that the company's cloud service now runs on IBM's SoftLayer platform. It previously ran on Amazon Web Services -- but SoftLayer's customer focus and automation tools won the Push to Talk services provider over...
5. Speaking of Amazon Web Services: The cloud giant is quietly reaching out to many MSPmentor 501 one companies and looking to build deeper relationships...
4. Internet of Things (IoT) Leapfrogs Cloud?: Back in December 2013, MSPmentor suggested that Internet of Things should be a major focus for MSPs. Fast forward to the present, and Cisco CEO John Chambers suggests that Internet of Everything (Cisco's spin on the term) has now reached its tipping point. Here's how MSPs can potentially profit from Internet of Things, based on a panel discussion at Cisco Partner Summit 2014.
3. Here Comes Microsoft Office for iPads: I guess corporate America cares. But I really don't care. Should I? Let me know.
2. Cloud APIs: What if you wanted to move workloads from one cloud to another? The new Cisco InterCloud strategy may allow VARs and MSPs to do exactly that. When I spoke with a big Cisco partner this week, he said the IntraCloud strategy could be especially good for building and moving Vblock-based services. On a related note: VCE is still growing about 50 percent year over year and now has about 1,600 employees.
1. See You At CompTIA Annual Member Meeting?: If you're attending the event and have The VAR Guy's cell phone number, be sure to text him. Rumor has it our anonymous blogger will be hosting a private, off-the-grid gathering on Wednesday night, April 2... Something similar to this. But you've got to make cell phone contact to get a potential invite...
That's all for now. Thanks for reading.