BYOD -- where employees bring their own smartphones, tablets and computers to work -- is only one symptom of three larger trends:
- Employees and employers increasingly want anytime, anywhere access to applications -- from any device.
- Employees want to "blend" their business tasks with their personal tasks.
- Employers want to mobilize some or all of their employees to get closer to customers -- without compromising company data and business assets.
- What are you goals for the business for the next 12 months and the next five years?
- How can IT and specific business applications help meet those goals?
- How will all devices -- tablet, smartphone, notebook, desktop and any IP-enabled device -- securely access those applications?
- Finally, you get to the MDM piece: How will you source, secure and manage all the devices that fit into this strategy? The answer to that question needs to blanket BYOD devices and corporate-acquired devices.
The best MSPs will find way to strike a careful balance -- giving customers a great end-user experience, while protecting business data and associated devices.